About

JUST A SERIES OF RANDOM REVIEWS AND THOUGHTS BY A NORMAL (OK, SEVERELY ABNORMAL) UNEMPLOYED COLLEGE STUDENT.

Monday, June 24, 2013

World War Z

     Years ago I read the book World War Z by Max Brooks, and to this day it is one of my all time favorite books. When I heard that they were making a movie based on the book I got really excited. When I started hearing that it wasn't going to be exactly like the book, I got less excited. When I heard that it was going to be the story of one guy instead of many, I got even less excited. When I heard that the zombies were going to be completely different from the book's, I still got less excited. When I heard that Max Brooks wasn't allowed to help write the screenplay as part of the deal, I got pissed. The movie is completely different in almost every way except the name. If you have read World War Z, don't expect anything like it. The movie is basically just a zombie movie that took the name of a famous book. You really have to disregard the book when watching the movie. As an adaptation of it's namesake, the movie is terrible. As a zombie movie, it is great.

     The book is written as a series of interviews of people who lived through the zombie war as Max Brooks as the interviewer tries to write a history of the war. The movie follows one man as he tries to find a cure for the zombies. In the book the zombies are your typical slow moving zombies, in the movie they are zombies that run, dive, and climb to get to a meal. The book also had much more about the war against the zombies than the movie.

     Overall the movie was great, but there were a few things I had a problem with. They obviously tried hard to make the movie a PG-13 movie which hurt the movie badly because when you see a zombie movie, you're expecting gore and that's what you want. instead whenever a zombie is killed, it's either too dark to really see whats happening, it happens off screen, or the zombie just drops dead. Whenever there was a big group of zombies, they seemed to be made with bad CG because they seemed really fake. The only realistic looking ones were the ones that used actual actors.

The story was really good, I liked how it was like an actual world war against the zombies like it was in the books, it wasn't a group of people trying to survive like other zombie themed things are. The actors were great and I thought Brad Pitt especially did a great job as usual. I thought the ending was OK but felt like it was too easy of a solution and didn't make much sense to me.

     If you like zombie themed things, I highly recommend seeing it. I say again, if you read the book, don't expect any of that from the movie.

     As of typing this I found out that they are making a sequel which just feels like a terrible idea.

No comments:

Post a Comment