About

JUST A SERIES OF RANDOM REVIEWS AND THOUGHTS BY A NORMAL (OK, SEVERELY ABNORMAL) UNEMPLOYED COLLEGE STUDENT.

Saturday, June 15, 2013

E3 2013

   

 I thought it would be a good idea to wait for E3 to be over before writing my thoughts on it to wait until the developers have said what they want about their games and consoles. Now that it is over and it seems most, if not all, of the news is out, here's my thoughts.

     Microsoft has gotten so much bad press about their Xbox One's online and used game policies and IGN's reader polls alone have shown how gamers are pretty mad about the things they have heard. Many of the rumors that were started, and debunked, I believe were started by Sony fanboys because of how ridiculous they were and how there was nothing backing them up. The Xbox One has to check in with the servers every 24 hours in order for you to be able to play your games online. The reason behind that is they let you install your games onto your hard drive then never have to insert the disc into your system ever again. Because of the not having to check that you still have the disc in your possession by inserting the disc like with the 360, they have to check with the server if someone else has installed that exact disc onto their consoles so it can be uninstalled from yours. A thought that just came to my mind is what if you are someone lucky enough to have traded in your game, and your disc was never re-sold, I guess you could just keep playing the game without it ever being uninstalled. Many people are angry with Microsoft because there are people who's areas don't have very reliable internet, and military personnel who can't get internet where they are stationed. During Sony's press conference they were what I can only describe as being complete trolls by saying the opposite of everything that Microsoft is doing and even made a snarky little video on how easy it is for you to share your games with friends on the PS4. Many people ate that up and laughed at Microsoft's stupidity. There were even rumors about how if you installed a used game on the Xbox you had to pay an extra fee; that was later debunked. As it turns out, it is not up to Microsoft or Sony how easy it is to share your games with friends or anything like that, it is up to the publishers of the games, i.e. EA's online passes that they recently removed.

     I enjoyed what Microsoft had to present in their conference more, but I think Sony's conference was better put together and didn't seem as fake, though very boring. The EA conference however I thought was perfect except for how they didn't say anything in detail about their Star Wars game development. Some things I don't think people really have been talking about is the new 360 that was for sale the moment they revealed it, and how it seems that the PS4 cannot play either AC: Black Flag or Destiny without lagging. I'm sure it won't be that way at release but it's just something I thought was funny. I didn't watch either the Nintendo nor Ubisoft conferences but did hear about what they revealed. One of the thing's I'm most excited about from Microsoft's conferences is how they are adding more and better servers worldwide for better online connectivity and their new cloud computing. The thing I'm most excited about from Sony's conferences is their huge streaming game library. I didn't really care about Nintendo's conference or the Wii U so there's nothing I'm really excited about. From EA I loved their gameplay reveal for Battlefield 4 that made me more excited for it's release. The Best reveal from Ubisoft was their game The Division which looks absolutely amazing and is overall my favorite reveal from E3 by far.

     I am looking forward to the Xbox One and it will be the first, maybe only, next gen system that I get. Now before you call me an Xbox fanboy, I'd like to say that I used to be, but no longer am I a stupid little 14 year old that for whatever reason thinks its so important whether other people think the Xbox is better than Playstation, and really if you do care about that stuff, it's time to grow up. I will be getting the Xbox One because I have had the Xbox 360 since launch and the PS3 since a year after it's launch and for the most part the PS3 has just sat there untouched other than playing Blu Rays, one or two PS3 exclusives, or if my PS3 playing friends came over with a PS3 game for us to play. I have also met a great group of guys on Xbox Live that I have been friends with for years now and we all get the same games so I'll always have someone to play with. The Xbox exclusives are also more of a draw for me than the Playstation's. Lastly I haven't really had any good experiences with PS3 online and I really don't expect any better with PS4. It just always seems that I have much better connectivity with Xbox Live than PS3's online. When it come's to Microsoft's new policies, I really don't care because they don't affect me so why should that stop me from getting an Xbox One. I really don't care that they're neglecting some customers with bad internet, but neglecting our armed forces abroad pisses me off. Some people have said they refuse to buy an Xbox One because of their policies, but do you really think that's going to stop Microsoft? Cliff Bleszinski came out in support of Microsoft's policies and I agree with everything he said.

     In recent years I have become more of a PC gamer than I ever have been and I do believe that PC gaming is superior to console gaming, so unless it's an Xbox or PS4 exclusive, something I can play with friends, or something I can't buy on the Steam Store, I'll be getting my games for the PC.

     Buy an Xbox One, buy a PS4, I don't care, just enjoy the next generation of gaming. I know I will.

No comments:

Post a Comment